Yet those who wait for the Lord
Will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary.
In marriage God wants us to soar. To become the husband and wife He has designed us to be. To gracefully fulfill our destiny in marriage and reflect back His glory to those around us.
But sometimes soaring in marriage is hard. Especially when we weary, growing sore at each other. Or maybe sore from wounds long ago and yet unhealed.
He has a simple plan for making our marriages the best they can be.
Four years ago we met for the first time on the Walkway.
Two lonely souls, somewhat beaten up by life and our own poor choices, being given another chance at love.
Scary after more than one divorce each. But with God all things are possible.
And every year we return and re-enact our first meeting, walking towards each other and then sharing a lingering embrace before even saying hello. Week before we met four years ago we exchanged words by the thousands in email flurries day and night. But that day in June, high over the Hudson, with the sun burning our faces and the wind blowing my hair as we walked back and forth for 10 hours, we bared our souls humbly.
No first date pretenses allowed.
Our stories were not pretty. And in the years since there have been other moments that have not been attractive.
But they have always been teachable, those moments.
Lessons in loving better custom-designed by a God who wants us to become our best selves. The unique man or woman He envisioned us becoming before the foundation of the world was set.
And after our annual rendezvous and walk we lunch at the quaint riverside restaurant where we shared our first meal.
Enjoying the view, the delicious sunshine and the equally yummy food a week ago we were gifted so unexpectedly that we were speechless.
Mesmerized by an aerial act that made our heart skip a beat.
A majestic bald eagle gracefully flew overhead.
Scooped up a fresh fish from the river.
And soared serenely off to a nearby treetop perch to enjoy his lunch.
Glorious site! Gift from Father on our special day! And us filled with gratitude and awe watching this bird of prey bring glory to God just by being an eagle, doing what God made him to do!
We can bring Father glory as we do life and marriage. But only as we do it His way. And we can’t unless we know Him by spending time with Him.
So here are 10 quick tips that you and hubby can employ together to help your marriage soar to the heights and reflect God’s glory more.
- Pray. And listen! And read your Bible. And do those things with your husband or wife, too, on a daily or regular basis.
- Obey. Follow the commands of Christ. Not just on Sundays but everyday behind closed doors. Including forgiving and letting go.
- Remember that whatever you do or say to your spouse — the least of these — you do or say to Jesus.
- Love actively according to 1 Corinthians 13. Marriage is not for the lazy.
- Or the wishy-washy. So stand strong on your commitment and honor your marriage vows daily.
- Purity is vital in marriage so guard your thoughts as well as your eyes, words and actions.
- Flirt often, BUT only with your husband or wife.
- Speak kind, positive, encouraging words much more than criticisms. Search for what is good in your mate!
- Create special times of romance when you forget everything else and just be lovers.
- And be very grateful for the man or woman with whom you are gifted to share life.
No longer alone, but together…